Sunday, March 11, 2012

Does this look like anybody you know?


Does this face look familiar to you? ... that's right, ladies and gentlemen, I am now a saint.  Kidding, sort of, my face was just used in a religious mural inside Monsefú's chapel.  Last week, I was standing outside of the church when my friend Edgard, who works there, asked if we could talk for a second.  He introduced me to two artists that are painting murals all over the walls of the chapel.  They said they were almost done with one mural, but needed one more face for a female figure... they asked me if I would pose for a picture.  I found this pretty funny, but I also asked them why they were interested in using my face, when I'm not from Monsefú or even Perú... because I'm really against the obsession with featuring white people in TV shows, advertisements, everything here.  I told them I couldn't participate because I can't promote more gringo-ization.  They promised me it wasn't because I was white, it was just that they didn't want to use faces of people from Monsefú because of the animosity and jealousy between different families and groups (which makes some sense).  So, after a lot of pleading from Edgard, I caved.

Here's a wider view.


At least the other faces aren't too white.  Have a nice Sunday, everybody.

1 comment:

  1. That is a nice painting. There will always be a part of you at your site for years to come. It sounds like you are really busy working on several great projects. Hope your training went well. Did you get to see other fellow business volunteers? Keep up the great work I’m sure it is greatly appreciated by the community.
    JG

    ReplyDelete